Lesson 21 Susan Gets a Surprise Call
苏珊接到一个意外的电话
Donna from the National Cookie Company calls Susan. She wants to buy out Susan's Scrumptious Cookies. Susan is very happy.
“国民饼干公司”的唐娜给苏珊打来了电话。她想买断“苏珊的可口饼干”。苏珊非常高兴。
Susan: Hello?
你好?
Donna: Good afternoon. Are you Susan, of Susan's Scrumptious Cookies?
下午好,你是“苏珊的可口饼干”的苏珊吗?
Susan: Yes, I am.
是的,我是“苏珊的可口饼干”的苏珊。
Donna: My name is Donna Jenkins, and I'm calling from the National Cookie Company. We're nuts about your cookies, and we'd like to sell them all over the country.
我叫唐娜·詹金斯,是从“国民饼干公司”打来的电话。我们非常喜欢你的饼干,想将你的饼干销售到全国各地。
Susan: Unfortunately, we're running on a shoestring out of our kitchen. We can't make enough cookies for you.
很不幸的是,我们只是小本经营,饼干都是在厨房做的。我们完不成你想要的量。
Donna: My company wants to buy the recipe and the brand name from you.
我的公司是想从你那里购买配方和品牌名称。
Susan: Oh yeah? Why would you want to do that?
哦,是吗?为什么你想那么做呢?
Donna: We have a successful track record of buying small companies and turning them into big ones.
我们也有购买小公司然后将其做大的成功记录。
Susan:In that case, I'm sure we can come to an agreement.
既然如此,我想我们可以达成协议。
Donna: Great. You just made my day!
太棒了!听你这么说我太高兴了!
Susan: You'll need to work out the nuts and bolts of the agreement with my husband. He's the business manager.
你需要和我丈夫敲定协议的具体细节。他是业务经理。
Donna: May I speak with him now?
我现在能跟他通话吗?
Susan: He is at a meeting. I'll have him get in touch with you when he returns.
他正在开会。等他回来,我会让他跟你联系的。
Donna: Good. I look forward to speaking with him.
好的。很期待跟他沟通。
笔记:
* All over: throughout; everywhere 到处
* (to) buy out: to purchase an entire business or someone's share of a business 买下…的全部产权;买断(出钱使…放弃地位)
* (to) come to an agreement: to reach an agreement 达成协议
* In that case: under that circumstance 如果是那样的话
* (to be or to get) in touch with (someone): to be or to get in contact with someone 联系某人
* (to) look forward to: to anticipate eagerly 期待
* (to) make one's day: to give one great satisfaction 使满意,给…带来幸福;使某人很开心
* (to be) nuts about: to like very much 狂热于
* Nuts and bolts: details; basic components of sth 具体细节
* On a shoestring: on a very low budget 小本经营;资金有限
* Track record: a record of achievements or performances (人、团体等在某方面的)成就记录;履历;表现记录
* (to) work out: to find a solution; to resolve 解决