Lesson 15 Nicole Practices Her Election Speech
妮可练习竞选演讲
Nicole is running for student body president. She must give a speech next week. She discusses the speech with her mother.
妮可正在竞选学生会主席。他要在下周发表演讲。她和她母亲讨论了演讲内容。
Susan: What's up, Nicole?
怎么了,妮可?
Nicole: I pulled an all-nighter working on my election speech.
我熬通宵准备我的竞选演讲。
Susan: No wonder you look like a basket case! Did you finish your speech?
难怪你看起来状态这么差!弄完演讲的事儿了吗?
Nicole: Yes, at 6 a.m.
弄完了,弄到早上六点。
Susan: That must be a load off your mind!
那你一定松了口气。
Nicole: It's not. I've got to give the speech tomorrow in front of 1500 people. I'm a nervous wreck!
然而并没有。我明天要在1500人面前演讲。我是很容易紧张的人。
Susan: Just remember the old rule of thumb: Imagine your audience naked.
记住那条经验法则:想象每个听众都光溜溜的。
Nicole: That's gross. Why would I want to do that?
太恶心了吧。我干嘛要那么做?
Susan: According to conventional wisdom, it'll make you less nervous.
人们普遍认为,这会缓解紧张情绪。
Nicole: Only practice will do the trick.
只有练习才有用。
Susan: Okay, let's hear the speech.
好吧,让我听听你的演讲吧。
Nicole: Good afternoon, everyone. There are four candidates running for president. You think you have several choices. In reality, you have just one choice: me!
大家下午好。有四名候选人竞选学生会主席。你们认为你们选择很多,但事实上,你们只有一个选择:那就是我!
Susan: You can't say that. You'll turn off your audience immediately.
你不能那么说。否则你会让听众对你失去兴趣的。
Nicole: It sounds like I have a big head?
听起来会显得我很骄傲自大?
Susan: I'll say!
当然了!
笔记:
* Basket case: someone or something in a useless or hopeless condition处于无助境况的人(或事);(国家或机构的)经济状况极差 [非正式]
* (to have a) big head: arrogant; too proud of oneself 自负,骄傲自大
* Conventional wisdom: a widely held belief 普遍的看法,一般人的意见,公众态度,大众意见,(社会上的)传统观念
* (to) do the trick: to achieve the desired results 达到目的;达到(预期的)效果;完成某项任务;获得成功
* I'll say: yes, definitely 当然
* in reality: in fact; actually 实际上;事实上
* Load off one's mind: a relief 松了一口气
* nervous wreck: a person feeling very worried 极度紧张的人,精神高度紧张的人
* No wonder: it's not surprising 难怪
* (to) pull an all-nighter: to stay up all night to do work 通宵工作
* Rule of thumb: a useful principle 经验法则
* (to) turn off: to cause to feel dislike or revulsion 使(某人)厌烦(或沮丧),使失去兴趣(或热情),使不喜爱
* What's up?: what's going on? what' new? 近况如何?有什么新鲜事?